Best Insect Repellents for Home and Outdoor Adventures
Whenever you go out for outdoor activities such as camping or backpacking trip one thing you take with you is the insect repellent. Insect repellent is also a mosquito repellent or bug repellent. These repellents are available in the form of lotions, sprays, or pump sprays.
Usually, the active ingredients used in these insect repellent is DEET but it is somewhat toxic. So many companies are using picaridin and permethrin instead of using a deet. In this article, we have presented you 5 best insect repellents for home or outdoor adventures.
Sawyer Products 20% Picaridin Insect Repellent
Sawyer is considered to be the number one manufacturer in the field of insect repellents. Their main purpose is to provide an insect free life to the people especially those who go for outdoor activities only in the areas where insects and mosquitoes are very much.
Long-lasting mosquito repellent
It is a long-lasting picaridin insect repellent that is so effective against the yellow fever mosquito which can cause the zika virus. It is a very safe and efficient insect repellent.
This is a fragrance-free insect repellent that has 20% Picaridin. It is a very effective ingredient ad repelling biting flies and also disease-carrying mosquitoes and ticks such as Lyme and powassan.
12 hours of protection
It is a premium insect repellent which gives you 12 hours of protection against mosquitoes and ticks. However, it is also available in the form of lotion which gives you 14 hours of protection and 8 hours of protection against biting flies, sand flies, chiggers, and gnats.
- Picaridin insect repellent is a long-lasting repellent especially for the protection against yellow fever mosquito.
- It is a 4-ounce pump spray that protects against the zika virus.
- This is a safe and effective repellent that contains 20% picaridin.
- It is a fragrance-free topical insect repellent that protects you against flies, mosquitoes, ticks, chiggers, and more.
- It is a lightweight bottle where you can put it in your backpacks.
- It is safe to use and do not harm your clothing, watches, sunglasses, fishing line, fabrics, etc.
Pros and Cons:
- picaridin insect repellent lasts longer than other insect repellents.
- It has the ability to protect you against a wide range of pests.
- It is a non-sticky and non-greasy insect repellent which is also kid-safe.
- picaridin insect repellent has a mild citrus scent.
- It is still toxic to wildlife and is not as efficient as deet.
REPEL Plant-Based Lemon Eucalyptus Insect Repellent
Repel is a very renowned company of insect repellent as it is a plant-based lemon eucalyptus insect repellent. It is present in a 4-ounce bottle and it is a pump spray.
Oil of lemon eucalyptus
It is so efficient insect repellent and made with oil of lemon eucalyptus. The good thing about this mosquito insect repellent is that it is deet free. As we all know that deet is toxic material but it is free of this ingredient.
6 hours of protection
This lemon eucalyptus Insect Repellent gives use 6 hours of protection against mosquitoes and you and your family remain safe.
The refreshing scent in lemon eucalyptus insect repellent
As the name indicates that it contains lemon eucalyptus so obviously it is a refreshing scent with mosquito repellent ingredients so that you do not have to put up with the usual bug spray smell. It is also a non-greasy and non-sticky mosquito repellent though it is made with oil of lemon eucalyptus but still non-sticky.
- It is lemon eucalyptus Insect Repellent made with oil of lemon eucalyptus.
- It is a deet-free insect repellent that protects you against the mosquitoes and many insects.
- This mosquito repellent protects you up to 6 hours especially when you are doing the outdoor activities at night.
- It is a lemon eucalyptus repellent which comes with a refreshing scent so that you feel cool and vibrant.
- This is an amazing mosquito repellent that protects you against the zika virus, dengue, West Nile, and Chikungunya virus.
- As it is made with oil of lemon eucalyptus it is non-greasy and non-sticky mosquito repellent.
Pros and Cons:
- It is a lemon eucalyptus Insect Repellent that has a good smell.
- This insect repellent is affordable and also non-toxic as it is deet free insect repellent.
- It has the ability to repel the mosquitoes for up to 6 hours.
- lemon eucalyptus Insect Repellent gives you better protection against dengue and Chikungunya virus.
- This insect repellent is not as effective as Picaridin or deet .
Sawyer Permethrin Insect Repellent for Clothing, Gear and Tents
This is the most effective insect repellent against the mosquitoes especially the yellow fever mosquito which can transmit the zika virus. When you apply it, it will last up to 42 days of sun exposure or 6 washings.
Insect repellent for clothing, tents, and gear
Keep this thing in mind that this sawyer permethrin is for use only on sleeping bags, clothing, tents, or other outdoor gears. So avoid using it on your skin as it should be applied only on fabric.
Reduces the mosquito population in your camping area
As you all know that when we go outdoors especially in camping, we may come in contact with different insects or mosquitoes but when you apply sawyer permethrin, it will reduce the mosquito population in the camping area. This is due to the permethrin chemical used in the mosquito repellent.
Permethrin is the chemical that doctors usually prescribed to patients with lies and scabies. So it also serves as a good insect repellent against many creepy crawlers. It is an orderless solution to be used only on your backpacks, tents, or clothing.
- sawyer permethrin is the effective mosquito repellent that protects you against yellow fever mosquito.
- It is the most fantastic insect repellent which will protect you from the zika virus, dengue, chikungunya virus, and West Nile virus.
- sawyer permethrin is a good repellent for your clothing against mites, mosquitoes, ticks, and chiggers.
- It is so powerful that it lasts up to 6 weeks of washing.
- Sawyer permethrin is non-sticky and odorless after drying.
- Sawyer is a non-aerosol pump bottle with a 24-ounce capacity which treats many garments.
Pros and Cons:
- Sawyer permethrin is a very efficient insect repellent on clothes and other fabrics.
- It works great on mosquitoes, especially which cause the zika virus.
- Sawyer permethrin also gives you a good defense against many ticks.
- This mosquito repellent evaporates from the skin within 15 minutes.
Ultrathon Insect Repellent
Ultrathon is an amazing insect repellent with a 34% DEET. It is also sweat resistant and Splash resistant. It is 3M mosquito repellent especially for the mosquitoes which carry many types of viruses.
Use in the Harsh environmental conditions
Ultrathon insect repellent knows the challenges faced around the world and save your many problems of mosquito bites or insect bites. You can use it very nicely in the harshest conditions around the planet with excellent results.
Protect you and your family
As we all know that when we go out for a vacation, we are haunted by different insects and bugs especially the mosquitoes. Therefore Ultrathon insect repellent is made for you which is a very good mosquito repellent to protect you and your family.
A very strong mosquito repellent
Ultrathon insect repellent is a very strong mosquito repellent with 34.34% DEET. So this repellent is enough to take care of your insect repellent needs as it is long-lasting mosquito repellent.
- Ultrathon insect repellent is in the form of lotion which protects you from biting flies, chiggers, mosquitoes, deer flies, ticks, gnats, and fleas.
- Ultrathon protects you against many insects up to 12 hours.
- It contains 34.34% DEET so that it will give you superb protection against insects.
- It is the most advanced formula to repel the mosquitoes which carry the West Nile virus, dengue virus, zika virus, Chikungunya virus.
- Ultrathon insect repellent comes with the advanced 3M controlled release technology to get a continuous shield of protection.
Pros and Cons:
- Ultrathon insect repellent gives you 12 hours of protection against mosquitoes and ticks.
- The insect repellent is also stable in extremely cold weather conditions.
- The insect repellent is alcohol-free and contains 34.3 4% DEET.
- As it contains more than 30% DEET, it is not recommended for use on kids.
Repel Insect Repellent Sportsmen Max Formula
Repel insect repellent is a very good company whose main focus is on the needs of those insect repellents which is made for outdoor activities. Repel insect repellent consists of 40% deet to give you extra protection against mosquitoes, ticks, or other insect repellents.
High-quality mosquito repellent
It is a high-quality insect repellent which is present in the form of lotion. It can easily repel the mosquitoes which may transmit the West Nile, dengue, zika virus, or Chikungunya viruses.
Works on a wide variety of pests
This insect repellent not only works on the mosquitoes but also works on the wide variety of pests such as ticks, gnats, chiggers, and fleas.
Non-greasy and non-sticky
There are many insect repellents that leave a sticky feeling but Repel is a non-greasy and non-sticky repellent.
- Repel insect repellent is a sportsman max formula lotion.
- It contains up to 40% DEET which creates a barrier against many mosquitoes especially which can transmit the West Nile, dengue, zika virus, and Chikungunya virus.
- This is the ideal lotion to protect you especially when you go outdoor.
- Repel insect repellent is made for backpackers, golfers, hunters, hikers, bikers, joggers, ballplayers, campers, etc.
- Along with the mosquitoes, it has the ability to repel the biting flies, chiggers, fleas, ticks, etc.
- Repel is easily packed with outdoor gear so that you can use it anytime you want.
Pros and Cons:
- Repel sportsmen Max is non-greasy on the skin.
- Not only it repairs the mosquitoes but many other insects.
- Repel insect repellent contains 40% DEET so that you remain well protected.
- It has the ability to protect you for 8 hours after its application.
- According to someone’s review, the bottle is leaked when the packaging is opened.
Buying Guide for Insect Repellent
Whenever we are thinking of buying any mosquito repellent or insect repellent, we must keep in mind certain ingredients that are necessary for the insect repellent. Also, you have to take certain factors before buying the repellent for you.
Deet is considered to be a toxic ingredient and has a bad reputation. However, it is recommended only for adults at certain concentrations including pregnant women and children who are older than 2 months of age. The recommended concentration of Deet to be used in any Mouse repellent is 25 to 30%. However, the higher concentration will lead to irritation, onwards side effects, including seizures.
Permethrin is also an ingredient used in mosquito repellent but keeps this thing in mind that it is not for use on the skin, you can only apply to your clothing.
There are many plant-based repellents which is made from picaridin, neem, Eucalyptus oil of lemon eucalyptus, peppermint, and citronella.
If you have any type of allergy especially the skin allergy, you must consult your doctor about using any mosquito insect repellent.
Use of insect repellent in pregnancy
Make sure that if you are pregnant, there are many insect repellents that are restricted. So you should ask your doctor about the insect repellent before use. Not recommended for breastfeeding mothers .
Insect repellents are not recommended for the breastfeeding mothers as the baby normally touches the skin of the mother and when they take their hands in their mouth there is a chance of getting the chemicals. So pregnant women should not use insect repellents.
This buying guide will help you a lot when you are purchasing the mosquito repellent or insect repellent. It will help you a long way while picking up the insect repellent.
Now, you have a lot of information about insect repellent from this article. These mosquito repellents or insect repellents are very helpful in protecting you from many insect-related diseases or viruses such as dengue, zika virus, Chikungunya virus, West Nile virus. In this article, we have presented 5 products of insect repellent from which you can choose according to your choice. If you are a pregnant mother or breastfeeding mother then make sure that you have asked your doctor about it. Also, ask your doctor about using the insect repellent on the kids.